Gallery

Friday, 29 May 2015

Bicycle Shirt Made in England!

It's been a year since I purchased fashion on the highstreet. I've wanted this shirt since I saw it last month with Sarah and I thought I'd give myself some good karma with all the refashions I've completed! I love it! The staff are adorable too.  This is a box shirt so no sleeves and with a relaxed fit, but the XS looked best on me as I didn't want to show too much armpit! I also preferred this shirt which has yellow bikes and a fine yellow pinstripe to the white version.
The shirt was £39.99 from Fresh in Oxford. It is made in England.
Cakes in covered market / Carfax Tower.

Christchurch

Monday, 25 May 2015

Simplicity 4760 Mens Beach Shirt (Aqua)

Friend asked for a casual shirt as he has cleared out clothing for charity! I sewed size M short sleeve. 
Simplicity 4760  I used the same fabric for the facing and overlocked too it in dark turquoise. It is a tie dye teal deep sea-green Hill-Berg 100% cotton that looks very blue in photos! Clear buttons to suit the water effect.  I'd like to sew a shirt with a collar stand separate to the collar next, I would also use heavy interfacing on the collar next time instead of medium. 
I made this dress out of hippy fabric (bought 3 metres then charity shopped the fabric and this dress, fun but too bright for me!) I lined the sleeves/bodice in this aqua print. I used Simplicity 6094.

Friday, 15 May 2015

Bellini Blouse Capital Chic

Now that summer is here I like wearing novelty prints again. 
Boats in Oxford.
I bought 2m which came to under £7 incl postage (it uses under 1.5 metres). I measured and marked the buttonhole with a pink dressmaker pencil, then tused the one step button hole system on the machine (tension 0, length 5, stitch 0.5) I tested this on the same fabric (x2 layers + interfacing) first to check the thread wouldn't bobble in one place. Because of the starchy fabric and the fusible interfacing (I used medium), this shirt has a lovely weight to it. I also overlocked with a narrow bluezizag. My next shirt will use the presser foot for a machine rolled hem + the button taping trick mentioned! I don't normally read instructions but the sew-along was a joy, making the construction smooth sailing ! Top horizontal and the rest vertical buttons:-

Saturday, 9 May 2015

NewLook 6145 Tulips

 
My version of Kate Middleton's flower l/s shift dress! You know you're meant to sew when you see a style and the pattern code springs to mind! I decided to go for a bolder flowerprint because ditsy would look 'bedsheet' on me, there is actually a yellow floral print in FabricLand just like the top half.  My cotton floral 3/4 length shift dress cost just £9 to make. The tulip print cotton was £3.99/m - I used just under 2.  Simplicity Blogger Challenge - Dresses.



I used the suggested facings with light-medium interfacing + overlocked, and a white invisible zip, which I first basted by hand then machine. I also finished the hems by hand.  I used french seams to construct the dress and finished the zip seams by folding over and stitching, the sleeve seams with overlocking (tried on and it was just right). The most time consuming part was probably the handstitching.
My alterations, I cut longer arms and body for larger hem allowances because I am using unlined cotton. I didn't add bust darts. I cut a 12 but graded it to a 14 skirt. I sewed the interfacing and shirt together in one but I would follow the instructions and join separately next time. I added two pleat tucks at the top instead of basting-stitching the sleeves on..
 
I don't think sheath dresses suit me