Gallery

Thursday, 23 February 2017

StyleArc Julie Pant - Bengaline

I purchased four trouser patterns during black Friday from style arc. I have two pairs of chino pants that fit nicely but I wanted some black trousers.

I've had the bengaline since last year and I sewed these up within one evening. I love them! The fabric definitely helps with the fit and they are so comfortable. The waistband is interfaced with stretch interfacing and then a facing in the same bengaline. It feels structured and not scratchy to wear, I cycled in these trousers and it kept the wind off.

I sewed a size 12, 40 hip, and found it accurate on me at 5 ft 4, I hemmed the trouser at 2cm (raw edge thin zigzagged), topstitched at 1.5cm. I think there should be more room for the zip, I had to attach it at 1cm - all the seams are 1cm, but for attaching the facing to the top waistband (0.6mm). They are a smart slim straight leg.  The waistband sits flat and secure, very flattering. The front and back do look similar so be sure to mark after cutting!

I wanted a simple denim jacket black trousers outfit so cut a negligee which I couldn't wear, too revealing, to an under-vest camisole (for layering only!). I wore it with a Chinese closinee vintage necklace and brown boots so the black wouldn't be lost in photos!
Small amount of whiskers on front, which I get with RTW trousers which are too big at the waist and droop downwards, but these feel fine - perhaps I should add more width to the hip? I couldn't see any reviews of this pattern, so I am impressed they fit comfortably straight from the pattern, but I would like to learn trousers fitting for a smartly tailored fit. This sewing project made me excited to make more trousers, even if you are pear shaped and just stick to black and navy, there are some sophisticated designs to make the sewing interesting! I'll be sewing this pattern again in a different colour!

Tuesday, 14 February 2017

S1590 1940s Blouse Cotton

White cotton with ditsy flower print (Fabric Land). Version A 1940s repro Simplicity 1590, I last sewed Version B in 2015. I'd misplaced the back facing so I just cut one from the back piece. I sewed a size 12 (rtw UK 10), I used a heavier interfacing for the back facing and I added an extra button to the peplum to prevent it blowing open, the button hole is on the opposite side with a button sewn on the reverse. I also top stitched the facing down at 3.5cm from the edge.
I just love the shape of this blouse with its nipped in waist and I was missing spring /summer sewing. I am aiming to sew a blouse every month this year. This was January's:-